Global Communications Strategist/Reporter/Researcher/Project Manager
- Bilingual in English/Spanish, intermediate French
- Research, reporting, writing, editing, producing, media strategy, and project coordinating
- Videography and photography for news, global development, and civil rights organizations
- Fieldwork in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, and Europe
Senior Web Content Manager, UnidosUS, Miami/Washington, DC 2018-present
Write, edit, produce, and manage multimedia content for ProgressReport.co, a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-funded education blog for legacy Latino civil rights group UnidosUS.
Journalist/Researcher/Media Consultant, Miami/Washington, DC 2016 – present
Research, write, edit, and produce reports and multimedia content, and participate in fact finding missions about global development, diplomacy, immigration, civil rights, the environment, and urban planning for PRI The World, Al Jazeera, TV3 Barcelona, Sojourners Magazine, World Learning, Washington Association of Professional Anthropologists, and Behavioral Science Research Institute.
Managing Editor, Cuba Trade Magazine, Miami, Florida 2017-2018
Commissioned, coordinated, wrote, and edited content on international trade with Cuba. Built an editorial, design, and social media team to reach international business leaders, economists, policymakers, academics, and globally minded travelers. Covered trends in state and private sectors, foreign investment, U.S.-Cuba relations, medical research, educational travel, and arts and culture. *Publication closed down in 2018.
Communications Specialist, Inter-American Development Bank, Washington, DC 2013-2015
Researched, wrote, and produced reports and multimedia content, including documentaries, explainer videos, and web features on development in Latin America and the Caribbean. Primary focus on capacity building in Haiti’s water, agriculture, energy, health, education, and business sectors.
Independent Reporter/Producer, Miami/Washington, DC 2005-2012
Researched, wrote, produced, shot and edited media content including articles, news videos, and documentaries. Led media trips and trainings. Clients included BBC, NBC, Al Jazeera, Discovery, HDNet World Report, Univision, Telemundo, Devex.com, International Reporting Project/Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Catholic Relief Services/Howard G. Buffet Foundation, and American University.
Reporter/Stringer/Translator, Madrid, Spain and Miami, Florida 2000-2004
Staff reporter and translator of news on Latin American and Caribbean affairs, immigration, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for The Associated Press and EFE in Miami (2003-2004); Spain-based stringer and Miami-based intern for Miami Herald (2002); features reporter for Spain’s El País newspaper and English-language magazines The Broadsheet and The British Council’s Ink (2000-2002).
B.A. Peace Studies/Political Science Whitworth University, Spokane, Washington
Spent seven months conducting fieldwork in Central America and Jamaica.
M.A. Anthropology, Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington
Spent 1.5 years conducting fieldwork in El Salvador and Cuba, focusing on arts for youth development.
M.A. Journalism, El País School of Journalism/Autonomous University Madrid, Spain
One year of Spanish-language writing and reporting with emphasis on immigration for a master’s program housed within El País newspaper.
TOPICS & PROJECTS
HEALTH AND DEMOGRAPHICS
- Writing and producing media content about the intersection of education, civil rights, and physical and mental health for Latino youth (infants and toddlers through early adulthood) for the UnidosUS education website ProgressReport.co. (2018-present)
- Wrote a long-form feature report about the ways historic Miami Beach architecture and design encouraged community cooperation for the elderly. The article, “God’s Waiting Room,” appeared in the Late Life Urbanism issue of the Amsterdam-based design and urban planning magazine MOMA. (2019)
- Produced International Reporting Project’s Kenya Delegation on Reproductive Health and Population in conjunction with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Investigated, coordinated, and led a thematic newsgathering delegation to Kenya. Wrote and produced multimedia reports on these topics for the IRP’s website and for mainstream news outlets including The Global Post, Public Radio International’s The World, and El País. (2012)
- Served as the coordinator of the Washington Association of Professional Anthropologists’ Virginia Ethnography, a research project aimed at understanding the social and economic concerns of residents in an American swing state. Consulted with GSI mappers and other visual storytellers on best options for a corresponding interactive website. (2017)
- Assisted World Learning’s mission of social inclusion by writing content about tools for measuring social, economic, political, and religious exclusion in societies throughout the world. Produced reports and multimedia content about the organization’s international exchange programs and educational materials for girls, ethnic minorities, and refugees. (2016)
- Participated in a National Press Foundation fellowship on aging and retirement, then wrote and produced multimedia reports on aging, pensions, and the World Health Organization’s Age Friendly Cities initiative in Latin America and the Caribbean for the Inter-American Development Bank. (2014-2015)
- Wrote, shot, and produced multimedia features about immigration, sanctuary cities, and gangs in the US and Central America, and a series titled Defining Mi Gente about the diversity of US Hispanics for VOXXI.com (2011-2012)
- Investigated, wrote, and produced La Gata, a documentary about aging and immigration through the eyes of female tango singer La Gata, a 78-year-old undocumented immigrant from Argentina. Won the 2008 Best USA Documentary at the Women’s International Film Festival of Miami. lagatadocumentary.com (2004-2008)
- Produced a month-long television investigation into health and housing problems caused by a massive importation of contaminated Chinese drywall that emitted noxious fumes in homes in South Florida and New Orleans for Univision. (2009)
POVERTY, THE ENVIRONMENT, AND PUBLIC POLICY
- Lead investigator, writer and multimedia producer for the Inter-American Development Bank’s work on post-disaster capacity building in Haiti’s water, agriculture, energy, health, education, and business sectors. Produced the documentary Water Everlasting? The Battle to Secure Haiti’s Most Essential Resource, and coordinated screenings and panel discussions at universities such as UC Berkeley, UCLA, University of Washington, and George Washington University, as well as at Miami’s Little Haiti Cultural Center, and the IDB headquarters in Washington. (2013-2015)
- Produced video and photo projects for the Inter-American Development Bank’s good governance and disaster mitigation programs on the islands of Trinidad and Barbados.
- Served as a media relations strategist to the Inter-American Development Bank’s rural development, biodiversity, tourism, natural disasters, and citizen security specialists. (2014-2015)
- Investigated, wrote, shot, and produced multimedia reports on water and food security for Howard G. Buffett Foundation and Catholic Relief Services in Central America. (2011)
- Coordinating producer and blog writer for Discovery Communications covering science, the environment, health, cultural preservation, and international diplomacy. (2010)
- Covered the US recession and foreclosure crisis in Florida for NBC and BBC (2008-2009).
- Wrote cover story about climate change and urban planning for Sojourners Magazine (2018)
PEACE AND CONFLICT
- Research and reporting on social outreach programs for transnational gangs and youth impacted by their activities. Published some findings with PRI The World’s Global Nation. Ongoing academic collaboration with transnational gang and forced migration expert Sonja Wolf. Moderated Central American migration panel at the May 2018 Latin American Studies Association Congress in Barcelona. Currently writing a collaborative memoir with sources from my fieldwork in postwar El Salvador in the 1990s. (2017-present)
- Investigated, wrote, shot, and produced a multimedia report on a secessionist movement in Mombasa, Kenya for PBS NewsHour (2012), and wrote a report about inter-religious peacebuilding in Mombasa and other parts of Kenya for Sojourners Magazine. (2016)
- Investigate and produce media content on Cuban affairs and coordinate media and educational trips to Cuba for clients such as BBC, NBC, Al Jazeera, Discovery, HDNet World Report, The Miami Herald, The AP, The Miami New Times, El País, EFE, PRI The World, World Learning’s Experiment in International Living, Sojourners Magazine, and Cuba Trade Magazine. Received a 2009 Emmy nomination for Cuba: The Digital Generation, a three-part NBC/Telemundo Miami series exploring how Cubans on and off the island maintain ties and collaborate on arts and media projects in spite distance and geopolitics. (2009-present)
- Investigated voting rights for Al Jazeera English during the 2016 US elections in North Carolina, Virginia and Florida (2016)
- Led, produced, and wrote a television investigation into the search for children of the disappeared in Argentina for HDNet World Report (2010), and led produced, and wrote a television investigation into the jurisdictional problems of sending U.S. foster children abroad to live with distant relatives for Univision. (2009)
- Covered terrorism trials for NBC and The Washington Post. (2007-2009)
- Participated in Search for Common Ground’s Muslim-Western Dialogue Reporting Fellowship. (2012)
- Studied the role of Afro-Caribbean religion and popular culture in global Black liberation movements in Jamaica and Cuba. (1995 and 1999)
ARTS AND CULTURE
- Serving as a music critic for Miami New Times with emphasis on Latin and Caribbean, Iberian, and African culture (2004-2010, and 2019-present)
- Spent six months studying guitar, dance, musicology, and youth development at Havana’s Center for the Investigation and Development of Cuban Music. Incorporated findings into research on youth arts initiatives in El Salvador. (1998-1999)
- Wrote the 2020 Havana City Guide for American Airlines’ American Way Magazine.