Global Communications Strategist/Journalist/Cultural Anthropologist
- Bilingual in English/Spanish, intermediate French
- Research, reporting, writing, editing, producing, media strategy, and project management
- Videography and photography for news, global development, and civil rights organizations
- Fieldwork in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, and Europe
Communications Consultant/Researcher/Journalist, Miami/Washington, DC 1/2016 – present
Research, write, edit, and produce reports and multimedia content, and lead fact finding missions and trainings on global development, diplomacy, immigration, civil rights, the environment, and urban planning for clients such as UnidosUS, Open Society Foundations, World Learning, PRI The World, Al Jazeera, RTVE Spain, and Sojourners Magazine. Documentary film advisor to independent producers with funding from PBS American Masters, and National Endowment for the Humanities.
Interim Marketing and Communications Director, Renew Capital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 6/2022-1/2023
Helped build and train an East African marketing and communications team for this U.S. impact investment firm. Managed, wrote, edited, and produced media content detailing how Renew Capital partners with global development agencies and private angel investors to provide financial and technical support to small and medium-sized African businesses with an environmental and gender-smart lens.
Senior Web Content Manager, UnidosUS, Miami/Washington, DC Staff 8/2018-3/2022, Consultant 3/2022-present
Write, edit, produce, commission, and manage multimedia content and communications trainings focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion for ProgressReport.co, the education blog of this legacy Latino civil rights organization.
Managing Editor, Cuba Trade Magazine, Miami, Florida 2017-2018
Wrote, edited, produced, commissioned, and managed content on international trade with Cuba. Built an editorial, design, and social media team to reach international business leaders, economists, policymakers, academics, and globally minded travelers. Covered trends in state and private sectors, foreign investment, U.S.-Cuba relations, medical research, educational travel, and arts and culture.
Communications Specialist, Inter-American Development Bank, Washington, DC 2013-2015
Researched, wrote, and produced reports and multimedia content, including documentaries, explainer videos, and web features on development in Latin America and the Caribbean. Primary focus on capacity building in Haiti’s water, agriculture, energy, health, education, and business sectors.
Independent Reporter/Producer, Miami/Washington, DC 2005-2012
Researched, wrote, produced, shot, and edited media content including articles, news videos, and documentaries. Led media trips and trainings. Clients included BBC, NBC, Al Jazeera, Discovery, HDNet World Report, Univision, Telemundo, Devex.com, International Reporting Project/Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Catholic Relief Services/Howard G. Buffet Foundation, and American University.
Reporter/Stringer/Translator, Madrid, Spain and Miami, Florida 2000-2004
Staff reporter and translator of news on Latin American and Caribbean affairs, immigration, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for The Associated Press and EFE in Miami (2003-2004); Spain-based stringer and Miami-based intern for Miami Herald (2002); features reporter for Spain’s El País newspaper and English-language magazines The Broadsheet and The British Council’s Ink (2000-2002)
M.A. Journalism, El País School of Journalism/Autonomous University Madrid, Spain
One year of Spanish-language writing and reporting with emphasis on immigration for a master’s program housed within El País newspaper in Madrid.
M.A. Anthropology, Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington
Spent 1.5 years conducting fieldwork in El Salvador and Cuba:
- El Salvador: MA thesis Aesthetic Expression and Youth Subcultures in Postwar El Salvador focused on poverty and violence reduction and creative industries, and monitoring and evaluation of gang outreach programs
- Cuba: Conducted comparative research on art education for youth in Cuba by enrolling in a music studies program at the Center for the Investigation of Cuban Music in Havana
B.A. Peace Studies/Political Science Whitworth University, Spokane, Washington
Spent seven months conducting fieldwork on post-war development across Central America and Afro-Caribbean religious and political movements in Jamaica.
TOPICS & PROJECTS
POVERTY, THE ENVIRONMENT, AND PUBLIC POLICY
- Commissioning, writing, and producing media content on public policies impacting the intersection of education, civil rights, and physical and mental health for Latino youth spanning infancy to early adulthood for the UnidosUS education website ProgressReport.co. (2018-present) This has included:
*Recruiting diverse thought leaders and communications professionals to share their lived experiences and experiences on education policies in America.
*Creating a multifaceted, multicultural coaching team to train young Latino students in blog and video production for policy and advocacy communications.
*Ongoing publication of mini ethnographies about Latinos also identifying as Black, Indigenous, Asian, and/or LGBTQ. Among these is a 2022 multimedia series on UnidosUS’s first-ever AfroLatinx leadership program.
*Providing strategic communications for the mitigation of the coronavirus pandemic within the school population.
*Covering UnidosUS’s mandate of advocating for all English learners including migrants, refugees, and children growing up in bilingual homes, and regardless of their linguistic or ethnic origins.
*Exploring the latest findings on early childhood development and how multilingual language acquisition among infants and toddlers improves cognitive brain functions, including problem solving and social and emotional awareness.
- Lead researcher, writer, and multimedia producer for the Inter-American Development Bank’s work on post-disaster capacity building in Haiti’s water, agriculture, energy, health, education, and business sectors. Produced the documentary Water Everlasting? The Battle to Secure Haiti’s Most Essential Resource, and coordinated screenings and panel discussions at universities such as UC Berkeley, UCLA, University of Washington, and George Washington University, as well as at Miami’s Little Haiti Cultural Center, and at IDB. (2013-2015)
- Served as a media relations strategist to the Inter-American Development Bank’s rural development, biodiversity, tourism, natural disasters, and citizen security specialists, and contributed to the IDB’s Sustainable Cities blog. This included video and photo assignments for the IDB’s good governance and disaster mitigation programs on the islands of Trinidad and Barbados. (2014-2015)
- Investigated, wrote, shot, and produced multimedia reports on water and food security for Howard G. Buffett Foundation and Catholic Relief Services in Central America. (2011)
- Coordinating producer and blog writer for Discovery Communications covering science, the environment, health, cultural preservation, and international diplomacy. (2010)
- Covered the US recession and foreclosure crisis in Florida for NBC and BBC (2008-2009).
- Wrote cover story about climate change and urban planning for Sojourners Magazine (2018)
HEALTH AND DEMOGRAPHICS
- Wrote a long form feature report about the ways historic Miami Beach architecture and design encouraged community cooperation for the elderly. The article, “God’s Waiting Room,” appeared in the Late Life Urbanism issue of the Amsterdam-based design and urban planning magazine MOMA. (2019)
- Produced International Reporting Project’s Kenya Delegation on Reproductive Health and Population in conjunction with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Investigated, coordinated, and led a thematic newsgathering delegation to Kenya. Wrote and produced multimedia reports on these topics for the IRP’s website and for mainstream news outlets including The Global Post, Public Radio International’s The World, and El País. (2012
- Assisted World Learning’s mission of social inclusion by writing content about tools for measuring social, economic, political, and religious exclusion in societies throughout the world. Produced reports and multimedia content about the organization’s international exchange programs and educational materials for girls, ethnic minorities, and refugees. (2016)
- Participated in a National Press Foundation fellowship on aging and retirement, then produced multimedia reports on aging, pensions, and the World Health Organization’s Age Friendly Cities initiative in Latin America and the Caribbean for the Inter-American Development Bank. (2014-2015)
- Wrote, shot, and produced multimedia features about immigration, sanctuary cities, and gangs in the US and Central America, and a series titled Defining Mi Gente about the diversity of US Hispanics for VOXXI.com (2011-2012)
- Investigated, wrote, and produced La Gata, a documentary about aging and immigration through the eyes of female tango singer La Gata, a 78-year-old undocumented immigrant from Argentina. Won the 2008 Best USA Documentary at the Women’s International Film Festival of Miami. (2004-2008)
- Produced a month-long television investigation into health and housing problems caused by a massive importation of contaminated Chinese drywall that emitted noxious fumes in homes in South Florida and New Orleans for Univision. (2009)
PEACE AND CONFLICT
- Assisting Open Society Foundations in conducting interviews and editing commentaries by civil society leaders promoting public health and safety, human rights, environmental justice, and protections for Indigenous and Afro communities in the Americas.
- Investigated, wrote, shot, and produced a multimedia report on a secessionist movement in Mombasa, Kenya for PBS NewsHour (2012), and wrote a report about inter-religious peacebuilding in Mombasa and other parts of Kenya for Sojourners Magazine. (2016)
- Research and reporting on social outreach programs for transnational gangs and youth impacted by their activities. Published some findings with PRI The World’s Global Nation. Ongoing academic collaboration with transnational gang and forced migration expert Sonja Wolf. Moderated Central American migration panel at the May 2018 Latin American Studies Association Congress in Barcelona. Currently writing a collaborative memoir with sources from my fieldwork in postwar El Salvador in the 1990s. (2017-present)
- Investigate and produce media content on Cuban affairs and coordinate media and educational trips to Cuba for clients such as BBC, NBC, Al Jazeera, Discovery, HDNet World Report, The Miami Herald, The AP, The Miami New Times, El País, Agencia EFE, PRI The World, Sojourners Magazine, Cuba Trade Magazine, and World Learning’s Experiment in International Living. Received an Emmy nomination for Cuba: The Digital Generation, a three-part NBC/Telemundo Miami series exploring how Cubans on and off the island maintain ties and collaborate on arts and media projects in spite of distance and politics (2009-present)
- Investigated voting rights for Al Jazeera English during the 2016 US elections in North Carolina, Virginia and Florida (2016)
- Led, produced, and wrote a television investigation into the search for children of the disappeared in Argentina for HDNet World Report (2010), and led produced, and wrote a television investigation into the jurisdictional problems of sending U.S. foster children abroad to live with distant relatives for Univision. (2009)
- Covered terrorism trials for NBC and The Washington Post. (2007-2009)
- Participated in Search for Common Ground’s Muslim-Western Dialogue Reporting Fellowship. (2012)
- Studied the role of Afro-Caribbean religion and popular culture in global Black liberation movements in Jamaica and Cuba. (1995 and 1999)
ARTS AND CULTURE
- Serving as the consulting producer of a PBS Masters documentary on music and migration (2022).
- Wrote the 2020 Havana City Guide for American Airlines’ American Way Magazine.
- Served as a global music critic for Miami New Times (2004-2010, and 2019-2020)
- Spent six months studying musicology and youth development at Havana’s Center for the Investigation and Development of Cuban Music. Incorporated findings into research on youth arts initiatives in El Salvador. (1998-1999)